My Guide Website?
Chachapoyas: 2-Day Gocta Waterfalls and Kuelap Fortress Tour1 Reviews
Explore the amazing north of Peru over 2 days. Hike to discover the world’s 3rd-highest waterfall of Gocta, and hop into a cable car to take in stunning views over the Amazon Rainforest to see the hidden and ancient pre-Inca fortress of Kuelap.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Peru:If youʻre booking your trip to Peru last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Enjoy a 2-day journey through the rain forest with an expert guide
- Admire the spectacular 770-meter cascade of the Gocta Waterfall
- Board a cable-car ride and explore the fortress of Kuelap
- Gain cultural insight into Chachapoyas culture
DescriptionDay 1: Chachapoyas, Gocta Waterfall Your tour stars with pickup from your hotel or meeting point in Chachapoyas. From there, drive to the Utcubamba river valley and travel for 1 hour to the village of Cocachimbo. There your hike starts towards the waterfall. As you admire the thick greenery of the rainforest along the hike, you will be able to stop and break in clear areas with stunning views of the surrounding valley. Reach the base of the waterfalls and enjoy the pure beauty of Gocta face to face for some amazing once-in-a-lifetime pictures. Following your visit of the falls, you will hike down the mountain and return to Cocachimba to relax and have lunch in a local restaurant. Then you will be transferred back to Chachapoyas where you will arrive between 5:00PM and 5:30PM. Day 2: Kuelap Fortress, Chachapoyas Today’s exploration leads you to the majestic Kuelap Fortress. Start from Chachapoyas at 8:00AM in a comfortable vehicle, before stopping on the way to admire the archaeological site of Macro, situated at the right-side of the river Utcubamba and on top of a hill surrounded by cactus and native flora. Later, arrive to Nuevo Tingo, a place where you will embark in a cable car and enjoy a panoramic ride towards Malca. There, start an easy 30-minute hike until Kuelap. You will finally reach the spectacular walls of the Fortress of Kuelap. This place hides an incredible past, having been built on Barreta Mountain at 3,000 meters. It’s surrounded by impressive landscapes and breathtaking views, and inside it there are three platforms surrounded by circular buildings decorated with rhomboid shapes and zigzags. Following your incredible exploration, you will be transferred back to Chachapoyas.
IncludesHotel pickup Transportation Local guide Lunch on day 1 and day 2 All entrance fees
- At the moment visit inside the Kuelap fortress is not allowed, visits are made only from outside.
- It’s recommended to spend the night before the tour in Chachapoyas
- To arrive to Chachapoyas from Lima, travelers can take a 1-hour 40-minute flight to Jaén (from Jaén board the 4-hour bus to Chachapoyas)
- Wear comfortable light clothes during summer, hiking shoes, rain wear, a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses
- Bring some local currency as most local stores only accept cash
- Please note, this tour is operated in Spanish. When available, the tour may be operated in English