My Guide Website?
From Chachapoyas: Full-Day Tour of Kuelap Fortress
Let yourself be amazed by Kuelap, the ancient fortress in the sky. One of the largest ruins in the Americas, the site combines the heights of the Andes with the greenery of the Amazon rainforest and is sure to amaze.
- Admire the ancient city of Kuelap and explore its incredible structure and location
- Take in breathtaking views on the Teleférico cable car
- Learn about the enigmatic pre-Inca culture of the Chachapoyas
DescriptionExplore the legacy left behind by an extinct civilization on this full-day excursion from Chachapoyas. Admire geometric friezes, mural iconography, and high relief carvings in the citadel and learn about this pre-Columbian culture from an expert, bilingual guide. The adventure starts at 8:00 AM. Meet the group in central Chachapoyas or request hotel pick up and board the comfortable, air-conditioned van for the journey to Kuelap. Along the way, stop to admire the archaeological site of Macro, located near the river Utcubamba and on top of a hill surrounded by cactus and native flora. Arrive at Nuevo Tingo and hop in a cable car, taking in the spectacular view over the valley as you go. Upon arrival in Malca, start the 30-minute hike to Kuelap. Finally, reach the huge walls of the fortress, built on the Barreta Mountain at 3,000 meters above sea level. Kuelap is surrounded by stunning natural landscapes and it is protected by colossal walls and cliffs on three of its four sides. Tour the complex with the local guide, exploring the 3 platforms surrounded by circular buildings decorated with rhomboidal and zigzag friezes, made hundreds of years ago by its first inhabitants, the Chachapoyas. After exploring the fortress, return to Nuevo Tingo for lunch and arrive in Chachapoyas city at approximately 4:00 PM.
IncludesHotel pick up (if option selected) Roundtrip transportation Guide Lunch All entrance fees
- It’s recommended to spend one night in Chachapoyas city prior to the tour
- If traveling from Lima, you can take a 1h 40 min flight to Jaén and from Jaén travel 4 hours by bus to Chachapoyas
- The bus transfer from Jaén to Chachapoyas can be requested directly after booking •The cable car is subject to operation control and maintenance (usually not available on Mondays). If not available, the group will walk to Kuelap Fortress
- Please bring cash in the local currency as some small stores only accept cash