My Guide Website?
Salkantay Trek 5-Day Hike to Machu Picchu32 Reviews
Hike the famous 5-day Salkantay Trek to the Lost City of Machu Picchu. See Humantay Lake and conquer both Andean glacier mountains and the jungle edge on a guided tour with wildlife and much more.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Peru:If youʻre booking your trip to Peru last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Salkantay Trek 5-Day Hike to Machu Picchu
- From Lima: Full-Day Paracas and Huacachina Bus Tour
- Iquitos: Belen Market and Venice Loretana Guided Tour
- From Nazca: 35-Minute Flight Over Nazca Lines
- Cusco: Humantay Lake All-inclusive Full-day Tour
- Follow in the footsteps of the Incas on a hike along the Salkantay Trek
- Marvel at snow-capped mountains and wild waterfalls of the Andes
- Discover the 'Lost City of the Incas' with an expert guide
DescriptionFollow in the footsteps of the ancient Incas and hike along the same paths they used to trek through the mountains centuries ago. Get back to nature and experience amazing views of the snow-capped mountain peaks of the Andes. Day 1: Cusco - Mollepata - Markhuq’asa - Soraypampa - Humantay Lake - Salkantaypampa (L, D) Depart Cusco and journey to Markhuq’asa for the start of your trek to Soraypampa, 3,850 meters above sea level. Stop for lunch at the base camp and then go on a round-trip hike to Humantay Lake. Then continue to the Salkantaypampa base camp to spend the night. Day 2: Salkantaypampa - Salkantay Pass - Collpapampa (B, L, D) Hike to the highest point of the trail at Salkantay Pass and get spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains before a 2-hour downhill hike to the camp for lunch. Then, enter the upper part of the Amazon jungle on a hike through what is know as the cloud forest. Look for native wildlife on the way to the village of Collpapampa, where you will spend the night. Day 3: Collpapampa - La Playa (B, L, D) After breakfast, take an easy hike to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley and marvel at the waterfalls and wild orchids. Encounter coffee, banana, and avocado plantations, and get the chance to sample the local coffee at an organic coffee farm. After a typical lunch in La Playa, here you will have the option (at an extra cost payable onsite) to visit the hot thermal springs and abundant birdlife. Return to the campsite for an overnight stay. Day 4: Santa Teresa - Hidroelectrica - Aguas Calientes (B, L, D) On this day, in Santa Teresa, you can choose to visit the zipline, rafting, or canopy at an extra cost payable directly on-site. Then, you will head to Hidroelectrica, passing through waterfalls coming from the glaciers and fields of cocoa and coffee. After a nourishing lunch, begin a 2-hour walk to Machu Picchu Pueblo, known as Aguas Calientes. Once in Aguas Calientes, you can go to your hotel to shower and relax before dinner. After dinner, get some rest before the early morning climb up to Machu Picchu the following morning. Day 5: Machu Picchu (B) Explore Machu Picchu in the early morning before the crowds arrive. You can choose to hike uphill to the ruins or take the bus for an additional charge. Benefit from a 2-hour guided tour on arrival and learn more about the temples, palaces, priest houses, and more. Take the train to Ollantaytambo in the afternoon and then catch the bus back to Cusco for drop-off at your hotel or hostel on arrival.
IncludesGuide Luggage allowance (5 kilograms per participant, to be carried by the horses) Transportation from Cusco to Soraypampa Camping and cooking equipment, including a double foam personal sleeping pad Thick mattress and night light Accommodation in Aguas Calientes (Upgrade optional) Entry tickets to Machu Picchu and Salkantay Guided tour along the Salkantay trek and of Machu Picchu Standard train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo Shared transfer from Ollantaytambo train station to downtown Cusco First aid equipment and oxygen bottle for emergencies 4 breakfasts, lunches, and dinners
- • It is recommended to arrive in Cusco at least 2 days before the trek, so you can acclimatize and get used to the altitude
- Vegetarian and vegan food are available on request at no extra charge
- Sleeping bags are available at extra cost and can be added when booking
- Your duffel bag will be carried for you until the third day, but from day 4 you will have to carry your own bags
- On Day 4 you will have the option to send your luggage by car from Playa to Hydroelectric and then to Aguas Calientes by Train, there is a cost of 20 soles approx. payable directly
- Optionally climb to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain (if booked in advance)