Palacio de la Exposición
The Palace of the Exhibition, building that houses the Museum of Art of Lima
Palacio de la Exposición is Best For
Directions to Palacio de la Exposición
The Palace of the Exhibition, building that houses the Museum of Art of Lima - MALI, is one of the most beautiful examples of the eclectic architecture of Lima. Conceived and built as the headquarters of the first major public exhibition in our country, the 'Great Exhibition of Arts, Sciences and Industries', held on the occasion of the fifty years of independence, easily adapts to the functions of the museum, since It was expressly built for exhibition purposes. It was built between 1870 and 1871 during the government of José Balta. It is a precursor building in Latin America, as it is one of the earliest and most important works made with the new iron construction technique. Designed in the neo-Renaissance style, its design and construction are due to the Italian architect Antonio Leonardi. The manufacture of the columns, made of iron and imported from Europe, is attributed to the Eiffel house. Surrounded by statues, gardens and a zoo, the Palace was the heart of one of the most important urban projects of the last century, following the example of European universal exhibitions.
At present, it is part of one of the most dynamic and busy areas of the city, where a large and heterogeneous public comes together. Due to its importance, the Palace was declared by the National Institute of Culture - INC, historical monument and Cultural Heritage of the Nation in 1973.
- 1869 President José Balta orders the construction of the building to house the Lima Exhibition.
- 1872 The Palace of the Exhibition is inaugurated in July, on the occasion of the 'Great Exhibition of Arts, Sciences and Industries'
- 1872-1879 Headquarters of the Society of Fine Arts.
- 1880-1883 Pacific War. The building serves first as a blood bank and then as a barracks for Chilean troops.
- 1889 In August, the State cedes the building to the Provincial Council of Lima.
- 1905-1935 Headquarters of the National Museum of History and the Ministry of Development. He then serves the Chamber of Deputies, the Directorate of Traffic and Shooting, the Ministry of Agriculture and, finally, as the seat of the Municipality of Lima, after his building caught fire in November 1923.
- 1955-1956 The Municipality of Lima cedes the building to the Patronato de las Artes in renewable bailment to serve as an art museum. The cultural activities of the Museum begin.
- 1956 With the technical advice of Alfred Westholm and Hans Asplund, special envoys of UNESCO, a comprehensive project of restoration and enhancement of the building was carried out, carried out by the architects José García Bryce and Héctor Velarde, and the Engineer Ricardo Valencia .
- 1957 The initial stage of restoration of the building, backed by the Peruvian State and the government of France, is inaugurated on the occasion of a great exhibition on French industry and culture.
- 1961 Official inauguration of the Museum of Art of Lima, on March 10, with the opening of its permanent exhibition halls.
- 1973 The INC declares to the Palace of the Exhibition historical monument and, for being the headquarters of a museum, Cultural Patrimony of the Nation.