Snowy Ampay (Snow-capped peak)
Nevado Ampay (5,235 m.a.s.l. - 17,175 f.a.s.l.) can be accessed from Abancay city.
Snowy Ampay (Snow-capped peak) is Best For
Directions to Snowy Ampay (Snow-capped peak)
Nevado Ampay (5,235 m.a.s.l. - 17,175 f.a.s.l.) can be accessed from Abancay city. The recommended trail starts in Arcopunco, 2 km (1.2 miles) from the city, and continues towards the Sahuanay reservoir and ecological station, from which the climb can be started in the Intimpa Forests at the Ampay National Sanctuary.
A resting point
- Location: Apurímac Department. Tamburco (2,581 m.a.s.l. - 8,468 f.a.s.l.), Abancay Province.
- Climate: Semi-dry and cold, rainy from October to March
- Average temperature: 13 ° C. (55 ° F)
- Season: From May to September.
- Access by Land: Lima - Nazca - Abancay road (912 km - 567 miles). Cuzco - Abancay road (190 km - 118 miles), in 4 hours.
- Difficulty level: Medium to high.
- Time: 3 days