My Guide Website?
Machu Picchu Historic Sanctuary
Machu Picchu Historic Sanctuary
Machu Picchu is an Incan city surrounded by temples, terraces and water channels, built on a mountaintop.
Machu Picchu is an Incan city surrounded by temples, terraces, and water channels, built on a mountaintop. It was built with huge blocks of stone joined to each other without any mortar. Today it has been designated cultural heritage of humanity in recognition of its political, religious, and administrative importance during the age of the Incas.
1. General Information
Machu Picchu means Old Mountain, taking its name from the location of the Incan citadel.
According to historians, the architectural complex was built in the 15th century, approximately, by the Inca Pachacutec.
- Its exact location is in the Machu Picchu district, province of Urubamba, 70 miles northeast of the city of Cusco.
- Machu Picchu was linked to the entire Inca Empire via the Qhapaq Ñan, the famous roads of the Incas.
- Temperature ranges from a low of 43º F to a high of 70º F.
- The citadel is divided into two areas: the agricultural area consisting of the terraces, and the urban section, which served administrative purposes.
- The average altitude of the citadel is 8047 feet above sea level.
- The mountains of Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu are perfect for taking panoramic photos of the entire architectural complex.
2. Entrance Tickets
No entrance tickets for any of the hikes are sold at the access checkpoint. Visitors cannot enter the Huayna Picchu zone without the correct ticket. The maximum capacity of visitors is 400 per day, divided into two groups of 200 people according to the times indicated.
Inca City of Machu Picchu Inca City of Machu Picchu + Mountain
Machu Picchu Inca City of Machu Picchu + Wayna Picchu
Overseas adult S /. 128.00 S /. 142.00 S /. 152.00
National adult S /. 64.00 S /. 80.00 S /. 90.00
Overseas student * S /. 65.00 S /. 72.00 S /. 77.00
National student * S /. 32.00 S / .40.00 S / .45.00
Adult (evening hours) 1 S /. 45.00 - -
Student (evening hours) 1 S /. 22.00 - -
Remember to buy your ticket online in advance of your visit at machupicchu.gob.pe with Visa, Mastercard, or with a Banco de la Nación Multi red card. If you are in Peru, you can pay for your ticket at any cashier window in a Banco de la Nación around the country.
Follow these steps to purchase the Machu Picchu e-ticket:
Make your reservation through the website: www.Machupicchu.gob.pe, providing the date of the visit, personal details, and the route to visit. (Remember that the reservation is valid for 3 hours).
After making the reservation you can pay the amount due online using a VISA credit card that uses the Verified by Visa security system or in one of the authorized offices.
Once payment is made you must return to the website www.Machupicchu.gob.pe and go to the Check-In tab, where you should enter the reservation code to be able to print the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu according to the method chosen.
- There is no need to print the reservation form to make payment as long as the reservation code is noted to pay at any of the authorized offices.
- Student tickets are only available in the Cusco or Machu Picchu Pueblo offices of the Regional Directorate for Culture upon presentation of valid university ID or an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), showing the expiry date. Only valid for undergraduate students.
- For the terms and conditions of the Machu Picchu e-ticket please visit the following link: www.Machupicchu.gob.pe
- Entrance to Machu Picchu is only permitted on the date shown on the ticket. Entrance will not be permitted at any other time.
- Remember to buy your ticket online in advance of your visit at www.machupicchu.gob.pe with Visa or with a Banco de la Nación Multired card. If you are in Peru, you can pay for your ticket at any cashier window in a Banco de la Nación around the country.
Peru Rail Local Train Tickets
- Passengers who are Peruvian citizens or residents, subject to presentation of a valid national identity document or valid foreign identity card can buy local roundtrip train tickets (Ollantaytambo - Machu Picchu Pueblo - Ollantaytambo) up to 05 days in advance at any of the Peru Rail sales offices in Cusco:
- San Pedro Station: Mon-Sun, 7:00 am to 11:00 am
- Wanchaq station: Mon-Fri from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sat and Sun 7:00 am to Noon
- However, at remote stations such as Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu, one-way tickets can be purchased (going or returning) according to availability:
- Be at Ollantaytambo Station (only going or returning and according to availability) at least 1 hour before the train's departure time (Mon-Sun 4:00 am to 9:00 pm)
- At Machu Picchu (only going or returning and according to availability), buy return tickets as far in advance as possible (Machu Picchu Pueblo Mon-Sun, 4:30 am to 7:30 pm)
Opening times entrance
- First group: from 06:00 to 12:00 hrs.
- Second group: from 12:00 to 17:30 hrs.
- Maximum capacity of visitors per day: 2,500
- Moderately Priced
Best For Whom
- Families With Teenagers
- For Her
- For Him
Best For What
- Cultural Experience
- Outdoor Area