Museo Nacional de Arqueología, Antropología e Historia del Perú
The National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History of Peru (MNAAHP) is the first museum in Peru
Museo Nacional de Arqueología, Antropología e Historia del Perú is Best For
Directions to Museo Nacional de Arqueología, Antropología e Historia del Perú
The National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History of Peru (MNAAHP) is the first museum in Peru; the largest, oldest and most representative of our country. He was the only one that Peru had in the first hundred years of the Republic.
Its importance lies in the valuable cultural heritage that it holds in its warehouses and repositories, which houses approximately 300,000 pieces that make up the legacy of our pre-Hispanic, colonial and republican past.
The Museum building has an architecture that combines elements of the late Colonial and Republican periods. Together with its exhibitions, it makes this a meeting place with the history of Peru and the ideal place where everyone, regardless of age or place of origin, can discover, revive and question the experiences of our ancestors.
ln the National Museum, today the National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History of Peru, is an institution created in 1822 under the protectorate of General Don José de San Martín who, in this way, set out to encourage a national identity policy with the purpose of consolidate the foundations of the nascent republic created by him.
The first collections of the museum were made up of mineral and vegetable specimens typical of the local geography and the cultural remains of the pre-Hispanic era. Throughout the nineteenth century its exhibition spaces were located in various institutional houses of the State, such as in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then, in the National Library and the chapel of the Inquisition, to end up settling on the upper floor of the Palace of the Exhibition. There, on July 29, 1906, he began his activities. At that time, its funds made up a set of more than two thousand specimens and counted among its assets, pieces from the viceregal and republican era.
In 1924, within the celebratory program of the centenary of national independence, the Bolivarian Museum was created, in a place located in the Magdalena Vieja, whose collections were composed of a documentary body and various objects donated by Mr. Jorge Corbacho, who converted to turn in its first director. In 1930 the collections of the National Museum were transferred to the Bolivarian Museum, creating a new institution that changed its name repeatedly: Museum of Independence (1932), Museum of the Republic (1935) and National Museum of History (1963).
Until 1924 the State acquired the collections and the property of the Private Museum of Víctor Larco Herrera, forming the Museum of Peruvian Archeology, to which he passed, the following year, a part of the archaeological collection of the old National Museum. The increase in pre-Hispanic collections allowed the Government to arrange, in January 1945, the foundation of the National Museum of Anthropology and Archeology, under the direction of Julio C. Tello, in a place shared with the Bolivarian Museum in the town of Magdalena Vieja . Both museums independently shared the same building until they were merged into a single museum in 1992, since then being called the National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History of Peru.