Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
A 39-kilometer trekking and camping trail.
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is Best For
Directions to Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
A 39-kilometer trekking and camping trail. The longest trail starts in Pisacucho (km 82) on the Machu Picchu railway. The trail crosses through different ecosystems, colossal archaeological sites and terrain rich in flora and fauna, before arriving at the Machu Picchu citadel.
A track leads off from this trail to Salkantay (6,271 masl). To take part in this excursion, tourists must contact a specialized tourist agency or an official tour guide.
- Location: Cuzco Department. Urubamba Province. 2,400 masl (Machu Picchu).
- Climate: Temperate.
- Average temperature: 15 ° C.
- Season: From April to October. Closed for maintenance during February.
- Access by Air: Lima and Arequipa to Cuzco
- Access by Land: Lima and Arequipa to Cuzco
- Access by Rail: Poroy - Piscacucho (km 82) and Machu Picchu - Poroy (return, 92 km in 3 hours 30 minutes). For information about making reservations, please visit the Inca Trails Network.
- Level: Medium
- Entrance Tickets: No entrance tickets for any of the hikes are sold at the access checkpoint. Visitors cannot enter the Huayna Picchu zone without the correct ticket. The maximum capacity of visitors is 400 per day, divided into two groups of 200 people according to the times indicated.
- Buses to Machu Picchu - There are buses that travel to the Sanctuary from Machu Picchu town, leaving every 15 minutes from 05:30 am onwards. This is the frequency until 3.00 pm, and return buses leaving the Sanctuary start running at 6:30 am with the last one returning at 5:45 pm. Journey time is approximately 25 minutes.
- Remember to buy your online ticket prior to your visit at www.machupicchu.gob.pe or use the same link to find out where to buy your ticket.
- Students should have a valid university card with the following information: University, faculty, photo, and without exception an expiry date. If the I.D. lacks any of this information, it will not be accepted.