Located in the colonial house of the illustrious writer and chronicler from Cusco
Regional History Museum
Located in the colonial house of the illustrious writer and chronicler from Cusco, Garcilaso de la Vega Chimpuocllo, the building dates from the late 16th and early 17th centuries and was inhabited by Garcilaso until 1560, the year he finally left for Spain. It rose on the Inca platforms that formed the Cusipata Square. Concerning the building, the typology shows an influence of Andalusian civil building, developing from a central courtyard, a gallery of semicircular arches, stone balconies in the east creak, and wood in the rest of the second level bays. It was intervened with restoration processes after the earthquakes of 1650, 1950, and 1986.
It offers the visitor a beautiful collection of archaeological objects of pre-Inca and Inca cultures, as well as a select collection of colonial paintings that shows us the success achieved by Cusco artists. The collections of pre-Hispanic archaeological cultural assets show Andean cultural development, covering all periods of the Andean civilization: Preceramic, Formative Period or Early Horizon (Marcavalle and Chanapata), Middle Horizon (Wari), Late Intermediate (Killke and Lucre), and Late Horizon (Inca).
As for the viceregal, republican, and contemporary collections, there are works of painting and sculpture of the so-called Cusqueña School, among them those of Diego Quispe Tito, Pablo Chillitupa, and El Maestro de Almudena. There are also notable sculptural works, including five reliefs by the Italian Jesuit layman Bernardo Democritus Bitti and the sculpture of a 'Crucified Christ', which was present in the sentence and dismantling of Tupaq Amaru II in the main square of Cusco.
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday from 08:00 to 18:00 hrs (calendar holidays are not attended)