My Guide Website?
Arequipa Walking Tour and Santa Catalina Monastery1 Reviews
Discover the amazing White City of Arequipa with this fantastic walking tour that will take you to explore the neighborhoods around the Historic Center to admire impressive colonial architecture.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Peru:If youʻre booking your trip to Peru last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Walking tour to the historic center of Arequipa
- Learn about the history of Arequipa with a tour guide
- Walk along beautiful streets with amazing architecture
- Explore the citadel of Santa Catalina Monastery
- Get to know a UNESCO World Heritage
DescriptionAfter picking you up from the hotel located in the historic center of Arequipa, you will start the walking tour in the neighborhood of San Lazaro, located just 5 blocks from the Plaza de Armas of Arequipa. This colonial hood has small streets and houses made of sillar, a volcanic stone used for constructions. San Lazaro is an old district and you will admire its beauty through its lovely streets, small squares and white walls. This are had been occupied by pre Inca and Inca cultures and, during the Spanish conquer and city’s foundation, the first houses were built here. This district belongs to the Historic Center of Arequipa, so it is considered as a Unesco World Heritage Site. The tour continues to Barrio del Solar situated near the River Chili where you will walk along beautiful streets with traditional and colonial buildings. You are going to explore different areas known as Tambos, lodging centers where merchants came to rest during the colonial era. The first Tambo to visit will be Tambo El Matadero, a building from the seventeenth century that was used to sacrifice animals. Currently, there are about 30 families living in this place. The walking tour in Arequipa continues to Tambo La Cabezona, a colonial group of houses with a communal entrance dated from the sixteenth century and the place where one of the first mills in the city worked. Enjoy a panoramic tour to Plaza de Armas, the main meeting point of locals and where the Cathedral of Arequipa is located. This beautiful square is surrounded by lovely portals and there is a bronze fountain in the middle. After a short walk we are going to reach the Santa Catalina Monastery. This place was founded in 1579 and it has 20 thousand square meters distributed in cloisters, patios, squares, streets, bell tower and church. During the viceroyalty, Doña Maria de Guzman was a rich woman and she decided to donate all her properties and start a live as a cloister nun. Most of the women came from wealthy families and, currently, there still are cloister nuns living at Santa Catalina Convent. This is a beautiful place with a lot of history and you will have time to take nice photos. Walk around the streets made of ashlar and some parts with natural colored red walls. You will visit many areas such as the Patio del Silencio, a place where the nuns met to pray and read the Bible in silence. Get impressed with this jewel of the city of Arequipa, a Unesco World Cultural Heritage Site. Later, we are going to drop you off at your hotel.
IncludesPick up and drop off to and from hotels located in the historic center of Arequipa Professional tour guide in Spanish and English Local guide in the Monastery of Santa Catalina Entrance ticket to the Monastery of Santa Catalina
- The Monastery of Santa Catalina closes on December 25th and Good Friday The order of visits may vary Children 4 and younger are complimentary If your hotel is not located within the Historic Center, you should go to the meeting point located at Calle Zela 301, next to the Convent of Santa Catalina (Hotel Mirador del Monasterio). The exact time of the meeting will be confirmed after booking At the end of the tour, we can drop you off at your hotel as long as it has good access and it is located within the Historic Center. Otherwise, we can drop you off near your hotel