Arequipa: Private Tour to The Ashlar Route
Enjoy a very entertaining and insightful tour to the Ashlar quarry and explore the origin of this white stone that gives Arequipa its characteristic look, which is known as the White City.
- See a demonstration of the extraction process by a local interpreter
- Learn about the historic and natural importance of this site to the region
- See the amazing representation of the Compañía de Jesus Church, which is carved in a huge ashlar wall
DescriptionDiscover the origin of Arequipa's amazing architecture on this half-day tour through the Ashlar Route, also known as Rute del Sillar. The Añashuayco Quarry is located in the northeast of the city of Arequipa. This site originated more than 3 million years ago thanks to the intense lava and volcanic gas activity in the area. During your tour, you will see where hundreds of men extracted the white volcanic rock with which most of Arequipa's most important buildings, including the cathedral and old mansions, are made from. Explore the site and learn about the white stone´s extraction process. This place also presents evidence of the presence of the Wari Civilisation, whose members carved various petroglyphs on the stone. The local quarry workers have inherited the knowledge of cutting, carving, and extraction techniques from their ancestors. At the end of the tour, you can acquire handcrafted artwork and souvenirs made from the white ashlar from Añashuayco. After the visit, you will be transferred back to your accommodation in the city.
IncludesPick up and drop-off at your accommodation in central Arequipa Professional tour guide who speaks English or Spanish Entrance fee Food or drink Gratuities
- Please provide the full name, date of birth, nationality, and passport number of each participant when booking because it is required in order to confirm your booking.
- Please advise us of your arrival date and the name and address of your accommodation in order to organize your transportation.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. • Sales tax must be collected for Peruvians or foreign visitors who stay in Peru for more than 60 days; if applicable, sales tax will be collected by the local operator.
- Please note, you are required to have a negative COVID-19 PCR test (72 hours before travel). On arrival in Peru, you must take a test ordered by the Peruvian government, or the local partner can help to arrange a test at your hotel on the day of arrival. You will pay the cost of this test. If you do not take the test you will not be permitted to take part in any tours in Peru. A positive test result requires mandatory isolation. A negative test result requires no quarantine.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now